- Contract Town Hall May 2nd Meeting Room 7 Empire State Plaza
- Region 8 Membership Engagement Leadership Conference on April 1,2 and 3 was very energizing!
- Okay Folks, Its the final push for a budget. Please call your legislators!
- Please RSVP for this important Labor/Health and Safety event.
- Please come out and Support the fight for $15 and a UNION!
- Update: We have really been putting the pressure on the legislature and both the senate and the assembly have responded! Let’s continue to make our voices heard! Please take action!
- Happy Friday!
- REGION 8 Town Hall is today 2/23/16, 6PM at PEF HQ
- Please take ACTION: PEF is engaged in a letter writing campaign to remove the negative changes in legislation included in Governor Cuomo’s 2016 budget!
- PEF is engaged in a letter writing campaign to remove the retiree health benefit cost increases included in Governor Cuomo’s budget.
Many Region 8 activists attended a leadership conference last weekend where they learned about the need for all of us(members) to reconnect. The feeling that we are the leaders and other members are just members who are getting a service from their union, has to stop. We are ALL in this together and it’s time that all of our members realize that. So, we are learning how to to reclaim the promise of our union. How to rebuild our relationships and fight back against the Corporate CEO’s and the wealthiest 1% who would like to destroy the only power that the working class have! It is only through joining together in Unions that we have any power over our pay, our benefits, our retirement and over the political process. Let’s work together as a strong union to get a great contract and stop the privatization of state services.
There was much to learn and attendees tell me that they are anxious to help build a new PEF. One that includes a true connection between all members! This conference was just the start. PEF Proud to serve!
Tell your legislators that you don’t support the new NYS Design and Construction Act to create a new Authority with the power to circumvent the rules. Companies doing projects for NYS state should have state employees inspecting the work to assure quality and value for NYS Taxpayers!
Not sure of who your legislator is, follow this link: http://www.pef.org/action-center/find-your-elected-officials/
NYS Assembly 518-455-4100
NYS Senate 518-455-2800
From: Amorosi, Gregory
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:34 AM
To: Spence, Wayne
Subject: Budget updates.
As you know, the budget is nearing its finality for 2016 and the process is in constant motion. My staff and I are monitoring each and every action and responding appropriately. I have included some of the latest issues that are going on that we (the legislative office) have been working on:
- WNY Children’s Psych Center: Worked in conjunction with the AFL-CIO to craft a letter of support for President Cilento to deliver to the OMH commissioner. This was an additional supportive piece to keep the Children’s Psych center open. (See attached). In addition, we have been in contact with each elected official in Western NY to convey PEF’s opposition to any thought of closure.
- We have met with several key legislators; including Finance Chair Senator Young to express our ongoing concerns and have thanked her for her continued support on PEF issues.
- PEF was successful in having budget language submitted that addressed key Parole issues. Unfortunately, the NYC Mayor’s Office opposition to the PEF proposed language has led to a temporary setback and the language was removed. We will work to get this introduced as a stand alone bill in both houses. Additional points of interest: Both houses have included funding for parole officer classes and/or a new academy. The Assembly has re-allocated 1.5 million dollars to support the purchase of 120 new vehicles for use by parole officers.
- We continue to fight the Governor’s design- build proposal.
- We rejected and fought off language that would have allowed DOH to circumvent the Civil Service Process and bring in new consultants.
We appreciate the many letters that have been returned to legislative department and delivered to the appropriate Senators and Assemblypersons. To date, we have received over 4,000 letters on our budget lobbying efforts.
As we are in the final hours of budget talks, I would suggest that a phone call to your local Assemblyperson or Senator would be a great way to compliment our efforts here in Albany. I have included the general phone numbers and you can then ask for your Senator and Assemblyperson. Please email me for additional questions or information GAmorosi@pef.org
NYS Assembly 518-455-4100
NYS Senate 518-455-2800
The Northeast NY Coalition for Occupational Safety and Health (NENYCOSH), has organized a special showing of the Award winning documentary A Day’s Work! The film documents the tragic death of a temporary worker on his first day at work. It is proof that our efforts to ensure worker safety at our worksites is still extremely important! (Please click on flyer to download pdf.)
When: Thursday March 24th Between 5:30 and 7:30 PM
Where: Albany Law School, Dean Alexander Moot Court Room. 80 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY
RSVP: to firstname.lastname@example.org
Light Refreshments to be served.
PEF is supporting the Fight for $15 and a UNION! Please join with your fellow union members and activists on Tuesday March 15th to fight for a wage you can support a family on! We will meet on the capital end of the plaza at 12 Noon and from there we will join the thousands of other supporters to rally for $15! (Please click on flyer to download pdf.)