Had a great time today talking with members of OPWDD and OMH about why it is so important that we all stay united in the face of the many threats we face. Members and Stewards alike all recognize that we have to stick together to stay strong because #TogetherWeWin! Also, Vote NO! on the Constitutional Convention on November 7th!
Region 8 is very Excited to report that after a month of working to get this done we are finally able to send out a notice regarding the IT Specialist Upper level exam Prep classes that everyone has been waiting for. Please follow the link in the email and sign up. Classes led by Sarah Lauser will be held at the American Legion’s Zaloga Post on Everett Rd in Albany and Space is limited. Thank you to Bill Moonan and Mario Chiarello for your help with this. Together we were able to make it happen!
Notice with links to the training classes is below:
|Dear PEF Member,
For those of you that have applied to take the upcoming IT exam (s), we all know how important it is to be fully prepared for any civil service exam. As you know, these civil service exams seek particular skills and knowledge and PEF wants to provide you with as many resources as possible.
In an effort to provide you with the means for a most positive outcome, please take advantage of the resources provided below:
- With the assistance of Bill Moonan, PEF Statewide IT Committee Chairman, PEF has arranged two IT study workgroups for our members that have recently applied to take the exam (s). The study groups will take place at the PEF office in Latham, NYand will be limited to “first come-first serve”, due to the venue size. In collaboration with CSEA, PEF has purchased a limited number of examination preparation books, which will be available during these study groups. These sessions will be two-hours in length and you will be able to utilize these manuals with co-workers amongst yourselves. PEF staff will be available to help with basic test-taking tips. There is one (1) Sunday option for those that need time to travel from other areas of the State.
PEF Study Groups:
- Friday September 22, 2017 (6-8 pm) PEF HQ RSVP here
- Sunday September 24, 2017 (9-11 am) PEF HQ RSVP here
- Our very own PEF Trustee, Sarah Lauser, has created and maintained an invaluable wealth of resources and instruction on her website ORG. Disclaimer: This site is neither affiliated with nor endorsed by the NYS Office of IT Services. This is a larger venue, but space is still limited. There is one (1) Sunday option for those that need time to travel from other areas of the State.
Sarah Lauser IT Exam Training Classes:
- Monday September 18, 2017 (6-9pm) RSVP here
- Tuesday September 26, 2017 (6-9pm) RSVP here
- Sunday October 1, 2017 (1-4pm) RSVP here
- PEF is currently working to provide additional resources and you will be notified as soon as that becomes possible.
Our brothers and sisters at CSEA have additional material available. If you wish to purchase additional examination material , please click here.
Some great videos that Sarah Lauser has produced can be found here : Systems Analysis SDLC , Project Management 2014 , Tabular 2014 , Preparing Written Material ,SDLC Part I – SDLC Overview , SDLC Part II – Glossary and Review , SDLC 2014 , Preparing Written Material 2014 , Flowcharts 2014 , Supervision Strategies Tips and Review Questions
Again, our goal is to provide you with the material that will be most helpful in your career path, while also making it convenient. Although these pilot programs are new, we will continue evaluate and seek additional options to assist you in every way possible. Please keep in mind that, excluding the free online resources, some of the other resources have limited space so please utilize the RSVP options as early as possible.
Thank you and good luck!
Good Afternoon Region 8,
Wanted to wish you all a fantastic Labor Day weekend!
We now have signs! Give me a call, stop by and or email me at email@example.com to get your Say No to the Constitutional Convention lawn sign! (We can also supply car magnets and or stickers.)
The campaign to vote no on the constitutional convention is very important. There are many reasons to vote no. Here are just some of them:
Also wanted to remind everyone that the Capital District Area Labor Federation is sponsoring a pot luck picnic on Monday at Cook’s Park in Colonie. (Further details are below in my previous post.) Please stop by to show support for OUR union and our sisters and brothers in labor.
Finally, REgion 8 is gearing up to participate in the Capital District Labor Parade in Albany on Friday September 8th. (Further details below in my previous post.) Please plan to walk and or to come out to State Street in Albany to cheer your fellow members on! Hope to see you all there!
Thank you all for all you do to support your union and your fellow members!
Good Afternoon Region 8
Hope that everyone is having a wonderful summer!
Wanted to remind everyone about the upcoming Labor Day Events in the Capital Region:
First: Save the Date for the Capital District Labor Parade which is on Friday September 8th starting at the Corning Preserve Boat Launch (Shuttle to the Parade’s start.) We had a great showing last year and I am hoping that we can equal or better that this year! (T-shirts to be distributed at the event.)
Parade Details are as follows:
To download a flyer click here: http://www.pefregion8.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-Labor-Parade.jpg
Please save the date for the Capital District Area Labor Federation Labor Picnic at Cook’s Park in Colonie. (Just off of Lincoln Ave).
the Capital District Area Labor Federation will host its annual Labor Day Picnic from noon to 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 4th in Cook Parks, Colonie. Hot dogs, hamburgers and vegetarian fare is free; attendees should bring an entree, salad or dessert to share.
Last But Not Least:
On September 7th, the Capital District Area Labor Federation will host its Annual Gala at the Desmond Hotel and Conference Center. Tickets are $60.00 and all proceeds are used to support the activities of the federation.
Please see further details here:
For a copy of flyer click here: http://www.pefregion8.org/wp-content/uploads/Gala-Invitation-Page-2017.jpg
Wanted to share why we are engaged in a campaign to re-engage, reconnect and recommit our members to stand strong with our union. Let’s UNITE against anti-union forces, We are stronger together!